What We Do
The Sanctuary is a transitional housing program for women and children experiencing homelessness who have also been impacted by domestic violence. In addition to providing temporary housing, the program focuses on providing comprehensive, supportive services which allow participants to achieve their individual goals and prevent future homelessness.
Those eligible for the Sanctuary program are women meeting all of the following criteria:
- Currently experiencing homelessness
- Have children under the age of 18 in their custody and residing with them
- Have their last permanent address in South Suburban Cook County. (If residing in emergency shelter, last permanent address does not impact eligibility).
- Have been working with a community agency, group or organization for at least 30 days where they remain in good standing. Community agency includes but is not limited to domestic violence agencies, shelters, churches, schools, hospitals and any other social service agencies.
- Referred by this community agency. Direct referrals from prospective participants are not accepted.
Services provided while in the program:
- Temporary, rent-free housing
- Comprehensive Classes
- Case Management
- Housing Advocacy